Comment on page
Nuvolos has a role system that is directly mapped to the structure of Nuvolos. On each structural level, a variety of roles exist with different actions available for different use cases.
In order to fully understand the role system, the structure of Nuvolos is a suggested read.
As described in detail, organisations are cost and accounting centres. On the organisation level, the following four roles exist:
If a user has no role in an organisation, they cannot view any content contained in the organisation. If a user has a role, it can be revoked by an organisation manager.
An organisation member is any user who has been invited in any capacity into any space in the organisation.
- Members are able to view Public spaces in the organisation.
- Members are able to view any content in the organisation they are specifically invited to.
- The membership role signifies that a connection has at least at one point in time existed between the user and the organisation.
An organisation faculty member is a user who has the ability to control resources in the organisation.
- Faculty members can create spaces and invite users to the spaces they have created. Any user who creates a space automatically becomes space admin of that space.\
- Faculty members can view Public and Faculty only spaces as well as any content they are invited to.\
- The faculty role is powerful in the sense that it has the ability to propagate licensed content to other users.
An organisation manager is a user who has the ability to view resources in the organisation as well as control membership.
- Organization managers can create spaces and invite users to the spaces they have created. Any user who creates a space automatically becomes space admin of that space.
- Organization managers can view all content in the organisation however they can modify content where they received explicit invitation to do so.
- Organization managers can invite additional Faculty to the organisation.
- Organization managers can revoke access to the organisation's resources.
Spaces have a single special elevated role, that of a space admin. Every other user accessing a space has access to the space via having an editor or viewer role in one or more instances of the space.
Space admins have administrative power restricted to the scope of a single space.
- Space admins can view and edit every instance in the space:
- They can upload/download files, run applications and query/modify tables.
- They can create/delete snapshots.
- Space admins have the right to invite users to instances as editors or viewers.
- Space admins have the right to create instances in a space.
- Instance editors can modify the contents of the current state of an instance: they can upload/download files and run applications.
- Instance editors can also create snapshots of the current state of the instance.
- Instance viewers can view the contents of snapshots in the instance, including writing queries against data.